For cases like these, I add some steps as fail-safes, but as the data in your PC will never be available to you again, better be safe than sorry. It's not hard, and all you will need is an external hard drive (HDD) and diligence.
1. YOUR SOFTWARE
In your PC, go to Control Panel / Programs / Uninstall. This will give you a list of all of the software installed. Skip the ones that come included with Windows and write down which ones you plan to use, as you will that way know which to install when you get your Mac. In this case, we retained Itunes, MS Office (including Outlook), Skype, Picasa, Google Chrome, Blackberry Desktop, and Kaspersky Antivirus.
Am I running any corporate or proprietary software that runs exclusively on Windows or Internet Explorer?
Proprietary software that is installed with a .exe extension will not run on Mac unless you install a virtual machine (software that emulates a Windows environment on your Mac). This should raise a flag when making your decision, especially if the software is critical to your occupation.
Likewise, some cloud based software only run on Internet Explorer, for which you also need a virtual machine.
Does my activity or hobby require a very high computing capability?
- Light: As he travels extensively to areas riddled with cobblestones and dirt roads, the wheeled carry-on was not an option. He therefore needs to carry the laptop in a backpack;
- Powerful: This computer is his portable office, and he needs to run all of his software from a single place without the benefit of a big desktop or more powerful machine in a permanent location;
- Great Screen: Why put an extra strain on your eyes? Get a laptop with a great screen
- Battery Life: Crop fields are very scarce on electric outlets, and so are airplanes. A battery life of at least 5 hours was key
- Carried by Best-Buy: If your time is limited, and you cannot be without a computer for more than a day, brick and mortar stores are still your best option. They usually have an in-house customer service and technical support team, and they have their own warranty system that can exchange your laptop for you if you need it. That's why I still buy my more expensive electronics with vendors who have a real store front in my area. Best-Buy is my go-to store in Miami
It surprisingly easy to launch a kayak or paddle board in Coral Gables. All you have to do is head to the CocoPlum roundabout, and on the South side of the bridge, there's a little opening that will let you reach the canals.
It goes without saying that when paddle boarding, you should always respect the privacy of the people who live on the canals, and refrain from unwanted stops on their property.
On this occasion, due to high winds, we did not go very far, but it was quite the experience all the same.
View Coral Gables Paddle in a larger map
So you're stopping over in Rio, and don't know what to do for a day, or where to stay. Here are a few options I recommend, based on my stay there this week.
Arrival in Rio: Tuesday 3PM
Departure from Rio: Wednesday 4PM
LEAVING THE AIRPORT
A cab ride from the city to the airport will run you under BRL 70 if you'll be staying in Ipanema or Copacabana. I personally like to use the regular official taxis, but if you have the jitters, you can use one of the executive services (50% more expensive). They all compete, but have roughly the same rate. The cab ride from GIG to Ipanema will take you about 45 minutes.Continue reading
It happened all of a sudden. One day, it was working perfectly, and the next, my MacBookPro couldn't turn on without being plugged to a power source. Unfortunately, I was literally days away from a work trip that was going to take me through many countries, and many hours on airplanes. Not being juiced wasn't an option.
Thankfully, even in disarray, Apple pulls through. Click on the battery icon in your status bar and follow the steps:
IF YOU ENDED IN "SERVICE"
If you ended in Service, you should first check your Coverage Status. This will tell you right away whether or not your computer is still covered by Warranty or by the Apple Care Plan. If it is, and if your battery was not damaged by you, then Apple will probably cover the replacement (this depends on your personal warranty).Continue reading